The camp was established in 1948 after the Israeli occupation of Palestine. It was established in a site called Aida, in reference to the owner of the land on which the camp was founded and established. It had a coffee called Aida coffee. The camp is located on 66 dunums of land at the northern entrance to the city of Bethlehem, part of the camp belongs to the municipality of Bethlehem and the other part belongs to the municipality of Beit Jala. The camp is bordered to the east by the Jacir Palace and Bilal bin Rabah cemetery (Rachel’s Dome), to the north by the Armenian monastery, to the west by the Franciscan monastery, and to the south by the borders of the municipality of Beit Jala.
The total population of the camp, according to the latest statistics of UNRWA, is (4860) people, with (900) families, the average number of beds is from (4-6) individuals, the number of workers in relation to the population is 27%, the number of employees is 4%, the number of the elderly is 5%, the number of children of age Day to 5 years of age 23%, the number of students to the total population 41%, the number of females to the population 59%, the number of males to the population 41%, the percentage of unemployed workers to the general population (20.8%), i.e. 70% of the population The total number of workers, the camp’s people come from (41) villages and cities destroyed in the year 48, including the villages west of Hebron, west of Bethlehem, and villages southwest of Jerusalem. 98% of the camp’s families are Muslims, 2% are Christians.
After the establishment of the International Relief Agency, the camp became under the umbrella of the UNRWA, where there is a service center affiliated with the Agency under the name (Aida and Beit Jibrin Camp Services Center). Beit Jala, Doha), the number of students in the two schools exceeds (1200) students per year, distributed in two phases, the first in the morning and the second in the evening, due to overcrowding and the lack of places to build additional classrooms. There are hardly all the facilities required scientifically in the school, as well as the narrowness of playgrounds and squares.
Aida Social Youth Center (sports, cultural, social) was established in 1968.
Alrowwad Culture and Arts Society was established in 1998.
Lajee Center (a cultural and folklore center for children) was established in 1999.
Martyr Amal Center (Children’s Center and Kindergarten) was established in 1988.
Amal Almustaqbal Center (folklore center and kindergarten) was established in 2001.
Ghassan Kanafani Center (political center) was established in 2002.
Baraem Al-Mustaqbal Kindergarten (kindergarten and literacy) was established in 1995.
Aida Kindergarten (Federation of Charitable Societies Kindergarten) was established in 1985.